Saturday 23 October 2010

The search for great coffee in Edinburgh

I like tea, but it doesn't set my world on fire like coffee does. Shame because they do tea so well in Edinburgh - and probably Scotland in general - and probably the UK in general.

Unfortunately coffee isn't appreciated as much as tea here. In Edinburgh, coffee can be really hit and miss. When it's great it's rich, smooth, oh-so-satisfying and great to look at, BUT when it's bad, it can taste like licking a road.

This blog is primarily about food and I think: why write about finding great coffee when someone else has already done a sensational job of it? I know someone who writes a great little blog called 'Edinburgh Coffee Lovers' (best consumed with a nice flat white).

I must say that based on where I've had coffee, the ratings in this blog are bang on. There are some absolute gems rated in this blog, as well as some shockers to avoid - if you don't care for scorched tongues, face-twisting bitterness or coffee that tastes like gravy.

No comments: