Saturday 13 November 2010

Passorn Thai - quite possibly the best in Edinburgh

Since some mates of mine were living in Marchmont for a month or so and on their walk into town, came across Passorn in Brougham Street, I've been back at least twelve times. And that was only about two months ago that they discovered it. I love Passorn so much, I genuinely crave it.

Passorn's a relative newcomer on the Edinburgh Thai scene. Brougham Street's not an ideal street either - it has a few other small restaurants, but the street doesn't lead anywhere except Bruntsfield Links. The owners were definitely taking their chances with the location - I've heard many restaurants in Brougham Street have shut down over the years. I hope Passorn has a better chance and so far, it seems to be doing well. Its atmosphere inside is warm yet modern, and is a great escape on rainy days (most days, in other words).

Passorn means 'Angel' in Thai, and the restaurant's mantra is that you'll have an 'angelic dining experience' there. I'm not sure I'd use those words, but it's such a beautiful, intimate, modern and relaxed interior and the service is really attentive and very friendly. In fact, the service is more than I personally would need and more than I pay for (I think the prices are excellent for the quality), but I go for the food. As I've said in earlier posts, I actually get a bit uncomfortable about napkins being laid on my lap, water being poured for me and rice being scooped on to my plate. I still appreciate it, awkwardly, it's just that I don't feel I need it. If you like this kind of service, then you'll appreciate Passorn all the more. Especially since its prices are not as high as those at Dusit in Thistle Street (known as the classiest, most premium Thai cuisine in Edinburgh).

The food is exquisite. The menus - either the great value pre-theatre menu if you get there early enough, or the A La Carte menu - are small but well-considered. There's something on the menu for everyone I believe, with dishes containing wheat clearly marked as well as several vegetarian options. The Plar Neur (Thai beef salad), offered as a starter, is the best I have ever had. It's served in a small lettuce bowl, and made up of wonderfully-tender beef, fresh mint, coriander, lemongrass, shallots, lime leaf, chili, and in a marinade so delicious that I wish I could take the plate into a private room and lap it up.

I can't claim that I'm some adventurous Thai-food lover or that I know authentic Thai food. I haven't been to Thailand! But, in the context of Thai restaurants in Melbourne and Edinburgh, Passorn is right at the top for me, and ticks all the boxes.

Equally other favourites of mine are the lamb shank massamun - two plump, slow-cooked shanks in a beautifully-spiced curry and topped with crispy fried onion. I have my classics that I struggle to resist, like the panang curry - the flavours are just so good. But, for something a little different, try the monkfish (quite a meaty white fish) in turmeric sauce. It doesn't have the zest that other dishes do, but is great if you want something more subtle.

Food's consistently done well here. On my many visits, the portion sizes have always been reasonable, the beef in the Plar Neur is always tender, and the prawns in the starter are always fresh, tender and not greasy despite being fried. I know that when I crave it, I'll go there and have my expectations met.

If you love Thai food, go to Passorn. Angelic experience or not, the food is sensational.

3 comments:

Andie said...

For anyone in Edinburgh reading this, Passorn has a Christmas menu on their website and I'm salivating just reading it. It sounds incredible and I might just have to go and give it a try - http://www.passornthai.com/menus/a_la_carte_menu1/index.html

Barnicles said...

reading from edinburgh! looking forward to trying passorn !

thanks for the suggestion

Barnicles

Andie said...

Hello! Great to know my blog still gets the odd hit - it's been inactive for a while now as I'm back in Melbourne.

Passorn is really great. I'm pretty sure it still gets great reviews on Tripadvisor. Definitely check it out - you'll have a lovely meal. :-) Andrea